Last spring, when we moved into our home, we found rhubarb peeking through the grass in our backyard. It made it easy to decide where to till my first garden. The rhubarb and I were instant friends. It was clear that it was hardy and it was going to be able to grow despite my lack of garden knowledge. And I was so thankful that for sure something was going to grow. Gardens amaze me and I still get excited when vegetables actually grow.
It’s probably no surprise to you how much I love Cooking Light’s magazines and cookbooks. So I have adapted this Rhubarb Pudding Cake recipe is from Cooking Light May 2004 to be gluten free, egg free and nut free. We had this for dessert the other night with my parents over and it received lots of compliments. The tartness of the rhubarb diminishes into the subtle sweetness of the cake.
Rhubarb Pudding Cake
1 c Natalie’s Gluten Free Flour Mix
2 t baking powder
1/8 t salt
5 T butter, softened
1 1/3 c sugar, divided
1 t vanilla extract
1/4 t ground cinnamon
1/4 c coconut oil, melt before measuring
1/2 c milk ( or your favorite milk substitute)
4 c rhubarb, sliced thin
1 t powdered sugar (Or a little scoop of ice cream to top it off. Actually, come to think of it, some fresh homemade whipped cream on top would be really good too.)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine flour, baking powder and salt, stirring well with a whisk. Set aside.
3. Put softened butter into a mixing bowl and mix on medium speed until smooth. Add 2/3 c sugar, and mix well. Add vanilla, cinnamon and melted coconut oil, beat well. Turn the mixer to low speed and alternately add the flour and milk mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Beat until smooth.
4. Spray an 8 inch square baking dish with cooking spray. Combine the rhubarb and 2/3 c sugar, then pour into baking dish. Spoon the batter over the rhubarb.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
6. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, or serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or fresh homemade whipping cream and enjoy!