The Gluten Free Allergen Free Expo (GFAF) was fantastic! This was my first expo and I was overwhelmed with fun and information, not to mention stuffed from all the delicious food samples. The vendors each had a little sign by each of their food products indicating which allergens were in them and they were all very knowledgeable about their manufacturing processes. Having the information so easily available was such a nice treat. Maybe someday, dining at restaurants will be that allergy friendly as well.
I know this sounds cheesy, but when I’m enjoying something, a song often comes to my mind and I can’t get it out of my head. At the expo, the song I kept singing in my mind was “My Favorite Things” from The Sound of Music. The weekend was full of so many of my favorite things. Traveling, old friends, meeting my online blogging friends, making new friends, meeting lots of new people, trying new foods and talking food allergies with people who all understand. When else do you have the opportunity to be in a huge room filled with people who all have a great understanding of each other? Everyone was there for the common good, to help each other walk this road of food allergies and sensitivities. It was so good!
Here is a silly, little music video summarizing my trip, made with the help of my sweet kids and some sweet friends!
Please remember, if food is making you sick, follow your allergy action plan created by your doctor. (Remembering you’re favorite things unfortunately will NOT stop an allergic reaction, this was just made for fun, not medical advice! 🙂 )
The number of vendors present blew me away.
My top 8 favorite expo vendors:
1. Enjoy Life – free of gluten and the Top 8 Allergens
2. Living Without Magazine – for people with food allergies and sensitivities
3. PASCHA Organic Dark Chocolate – free from the Top 8 Allergens
4. Happy Family Organic Superfoods – allergy friendly baby/toddler foods including finger foods
5. Ian’s – allergy friendly convenience foods
6. FARE (Food Allergy Research & Education) – a great online resource and community
7. Bob’s Red Mill – I use a lot of their flours to make my Natalie’s & Paula’s Gluten Free Flour Mixes
8. Qwackers Cheddar Crackers – Gluten free, corn free, egg free, nut free. Allergy friendly & Kid friendly.
* 9. Schar – gluten free breads, crackers, cookies and more
* There were so many great vendors, it was hard to choose my top 8.
A few of my favorite expo authors:
Fellow Bloggers I got to know:
1. Vegetarian Mama -gluten, dairy, nut, soy free
2. Gluten Free GreenBean – gluten free & Registered Dietician
3. Epi Family – dairy, soy, wheat and egg free
4. Keely McGuire – fun allergy friendly lunch box ideas
5. Pretty Little Celiac – gluten free
6. I’m A Celiac – gluten free
7. Gluten Free Betsy – gluten free (I know, I know, some of these are obvious by their title) 😉
8. Celiac & The Beast – gluten free
9. The Savvy Celiac – gluten free
10. Going Free – gluten & dairy free
11. My Kitchen Shrink – nutrition & lifestyle coach
It’s not too late, there are still a couple expo’s left this year.
Thank you to GFAF expo for inviting me to be a part of this great event and thanks to Holy Crap Cereal for sponsoring our blogger booth!