This has been a LONG time coming! Gluten free, egg free, nut free Monkey Bread, dripping with warm, gooey caramel and I’m not monkeying around. I’ve been wanting to tackle this for a couple of years, and now it’s here. Finally, I can sign up to bring Monkey Bread for brunches with friends. That is if my kids let me out the door with these! I may need to make a separate batch just for them.
1 t xanthan gum
1/2 c brown sugar, packed
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter loaf pan well (or spray with cooking spray). To prepare work surface, wash counter top, place about 18″ saran wrap on slightly wet counter top, sprinkle GF flour on top of saran wrap.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, xanthan gum, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Whisk together well. Cut chilled butter into flour mixture and mix with a pastry blender until it resembles a coarse meal, with pea size pieces. Add buttermilk and stir gently just until entirely moistened.
3. Place dough on prepared work surface, gently knead a couple of times. Roll out to about 1/2″-3/4″ thick. Cut dough into roughly 1 inch square pieces.
4. In a small bowl, combine white sugar and cinnamon and stir together well. Gently toss dough pieces in cinnamon sugar mixture to coat each piece, then place pieces of dough into prepared pan.
5. In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, and butter. Melt over medium heat, do not boil. Pour over dough.
6. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Let rest for 5 minutes then invert pan onto serving tray. Use a spatula to get all the extra caramel out, you won’t want to waste one single drop.
Serve warm. Makes about 6 servings.
This recipe has been shared on: