There is a little bakery that I use to love to visit, that is back in our gluten full days. They make this amazing bread that has pepperoni and mozzarella rolled into it. You don’t have to make it into a sandwich because each slice is it’s own delicious sandwich.
I decided to attempt something similar to these gluten free pizza favorites, using my favorite Gluten Free Vegan Bread Recipe as a foundation. If you’ve made this bread recipe, then you know that it is easy to make (no kneading, YAY!) which means these flavorful rolls are easy to make as well.
My gluten eating, picky son told me the other day, that he likes these gluten free pizza rolls better than Dominoes Pizza, which is one of his Top 5 favorite foods ever! Boy, oh boy, did he ever win some big points with Mom!
These are certainly great fresh and warm out of the oven but they are also great reheated. The kids like them cold in their lunch boxes too.
If you don’t already have Paula’s Gluten Free Flour Mixture on hand, make up a batch. You should be able to make these Pizza Rolls along with a loaf of Gluten Free Vegan Bread out of the batch of flour.
Paula’s Gluten Free Flour Mix
1 1/2 c. millet flour
1 1/2 c. sorghum flour
1 c. tapioca flour
1 c. potato starch
1 c. arrowroot powder
Pepperoni Pizza Rolls
3 c Paula’s Gluten Free Flour Mix
2 t xanthan gum
1/2 t sea salt
1 t Italian seasoning
1/4 t garlic powder
3 T sugar
1 t dry yeast
2 t coconut oil (melt before measuring)
1 1/2 c + 2 T warm water
18 Pepperoni slices (to make VEGAN: use sliced bell peppers and onions)
4 oz mozzarella, sliced into 1/4″ thick squares (For DAIRY FREE: use
Daiya’s shredded mozzarella)
4 T butter (For DAIRY FREE: use Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
1/4 t garlic powder
1/8 t salt
3/4 t dried parsley flakes
1. Grease and dust with GF flour an 8×4 loaf pan. Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
2. Combine GF Flour Mix, xanthan gum, salt, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, sugar, and dry yeast in a medium sized bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
3. In mixing bowl, combine the coconut oil and warm water together and then add the dry ingredients. Mix on high for 2 minutes, this activates the yeast. It should resemble a thicker cake batter.
4. Cover the mixing bowl with a tea towel, TURN OFF the oven (you don’t want to forget that) then gently place the covered bowl in the warm, off oven. Let rise about 30 minutes.
5. Take the covered bowl out of the oven. Remove tea towel. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
6. On a parchment covered cookie sheet, spoon a small amount of dough onto the parchment paper, gently spread out, working from the middle out and making a slight well in the middle for the pepperoni to get placed. It should be just a bit larger than the size of your pepperoni slice. Space the rolls 1-2 inches apart.
7. Place one slice of pepperoni on each dough roll, top the pepperoni with the slice of mozzarella, then top that with another slice of pepperoni. Spoon a little more dough onto each roll and spoon dough to cover the pepperoni. Use the spoon to gently spread the dough making sure the edges are sealed with dough (to help keep the mozzarella from melting out onto the cookie sheet while baking).
8. Bake rolls at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
9. While rolls are baking, in a small glass (microwavable bowl), melt butter and stir in spices. When rolls are finished baking, remove from oven and brush with garlic butter. Serve warm with marinara or pizza sauce.
Makes 18 rolls.
Takes about 90 minutes to make, start to finish.