This hearty, rich lasagne makes a wonderful dinner for these cooler days. Serve with a lettuce salad and make your own garlic toast out of your favorite bread. I made this recipe often before food allergies entered our home. I had not made it in years, because I had not been able to find a gluten free cream of chicken soup for the recipe. Until recently, thanks to Pacific Foods for coming out with a collection of condensed soups. I have found these soups at Whole Foods, and at my local co-op. You can also purchase them online.
1/2 c onion, finely chopped
1/4 c green pepper, finely chopped
2 T butter
1 box Gluten Free Pacific Foods Cream of Chicken Soup
2/3 c skim milk (or rice milk)
1 box DeBoles Rice Lasagne noodles (I boil for just a couple of minutes before layering)
16 oz fat free cottage cheese
8 oz low fat cream cheese, cubed
2 1/2 c cooked chicken, cut up ( I use leftover rotisserie chicken)
3 c (12 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 c parmesan cheese, grated
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray.
2. Saute onion and green pepper with butter until tender. Stir in soup and milk. Turn off heat.
3. In another bowl, mix the cottage cheese and cream cheese together.
4. Lightly cover pan with sauce. Layer 1/3 of the noodles, then the cottage cheese/cream cheese mixutre, chicken, sauce and then cheddar cheese. Repeat this layering two more times. End with the cheddar cheese on top. Sprinkle with parmesan.
5. Bake uncovered at for 50-60 minutes or until bubbly.
This recipe can be assembled the day before. Just cover and refrigerate, then the next day, remove the cover and bake.